Email This
Please enter a Recipient Address and/or check the Send me a copy checkbox.
Your email has been sent.
Your Name: 

Copy me on this email ()

Recipient's Email: 
Separate multiple email addresses with commas (Limit is 10).
Subject: 
Optional Message: 
The Differential

A Disease a Day

Vincent Migliaccio Michaelson, Medical Student, 01:51PM Oct 28, 2017

O&Med School of Medicine

Reading for pleasure is an excellent way to learn; this means reading things because we want to not because we were assigned them. It brings about many positive impacts, including increasing vocabulary, gaining insight into people's attitudes, and learning general knowledge and trivia. When you choose something to read just because you want to, it tends to seem more interesting, and what you read tends to stick more.

If we apply this to medicine it can work really well. A few years into my career, I didn't have much knowledge about the multitude of diseases and syndromes out there. I knew the names of some and key things about them. I was limited by what I didn't know. I was in a class one day, and a professor of mine said he read about one disease/syndrome per day. This meant that by the end of a year, he knew about 365 more disease than he did before. This was impressive. I didn't start the practice until recently.

I started the practice a few months ago, when I was at a medical conference. A syndrome known as Brugada syndrome was mentioned. I had never heard of it nor remembered seeing it. This is when I jotted it down in order to look for it later. This is how I usually get the syndrome or disease to look up that day. It can be from a movie or TV show. A syndrome/disease gets mentioned that I haven't yet been exposed to, and I look into it. I do this for a couple of reasons. First, I am curious and enjoy finding out new things; second, I can't diagnose something I have never seen. Maybe I will never see a patient with any of those diseases or syndromes, but what if I do? 

Here are a few syndromes I have recently looked into:

• Usher syndrome

• Hammon syndrome/Macklin syndrome

• Anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis

What about you? Can you learn about a disease a day?
About This Blog

Medical school and residency can be a stressful, demanding time. These medical students share their insights and experiences, good and bad, in order to create a community of support and understanding for medical students everywhere.

Contact the Webmaster
Poll: Are you still in contact with your roommates from 1st year? Yes, they're right next to me.|Yes, but we don't room together anymore|No, we didn't get along|I didn't have a roommate|

• Alina Khurgel
  • Kolin Meehan
  • Neil C. Bhavsar

Medical Student 
    New Jersey Medical School

• Rick Tumminello

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

• Sung Woo Koh

Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University

• Heather Kagan

Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA

www.heatherkagan.com

• Stephanie Nguyen

Temple University School of Medicine

Philadelphia, PA

• Vincent Migliaccio Michaelson

O&Med School of Medicine|Havard Developed Pilot Program

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2017 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.