Email This
Please enter a Recipient Address and/or check the Send me a copy checkbox.
Your email has been sent.
Your Name: 

Copy me on this email ()

Recipient's Email: 
Separate multiple email addresses with commas (Limit is 10).
Subject: 
Optional Message: 
The Differential

Winding Up a Biological Clock

Amanda Xi, Medical Student, 09:49AM May 5, 2013

When I was in middle school, I painted this vivid picture in my mind of the next 10 years. It included finishing high school, going to a premier college followed by a well-regarded medical school. Along the way, I would meet the right partner and we would get married before residency. I imagined that I would have a family by the time I was done with residency.

Obviously my middle school aspirations didn't quite pan out that way. Instead of finishing high school, I opted to start college early in Great Barrington, MA. When I had to choose a medical school, I fell in love with the brand new one. My significant other is currently over 2,000 miles away. I've come to accept that detailed planning for the future is futile.

But many of my female colleagues do not share this notion when it is applied to family planning. At the American Medical Women's Association 98th Annual Meeting I attended in March, the reverberating advice I heard was: make a plan for when you want to have children. Although there's never a "right time" for women in medicine to have children, at least having a plan in place makes it easier for the appropriate arrangements to be made. This advice - while not applicable to everyone - makes a lot of sense, even when taking into account unforeseen challenges ahead. In fact, I've already discussed with my significant other the possibilities for starting our family. 

Right now, I am in the midst of memorizing every possible factoid that could appear on Step 1, but I also have a vague image of where I'd like to be a few years from now. I've learned that the best laid plans are the ones that put you on a path toward the future, but do not cloud the responsibilities of the present or obscure the alternate opportunities available to take an alternate route.

About This Blog

Medical school and residency can be a stressful, demanding time. These medical students share their insights and experiences, good and bad, in order to create a community of support and understanding for medical students everywhere.

Contact the Webmaster
Poll: Do you think doctors are resistant to change? Yes, almost all the time|Yes, they are more resistant than they are open to change.|It depends on the issue|No, they are more open than they are resistant to change.|No, they are very open to change|

• Amanda Xi

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine, Rochester, Michigan

• Alexa Mieses

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, New York

• Casey Sharpe

University of Texas Medical Branch at Austin, Texas

• Carl Streed Jr

Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland

• Matt Wiepking

University College Cork, Cork, Ireland

• Rick Pescatore

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

• Sara Teichholtz

Medical School for International Health, Be'er Sheva, Israel

Olaseni Ajibade

Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, Georgia

Bryce Krishna Cragg

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas

Zoyah Thawer

McMaster University School of Medicine, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Abraar Karan

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California

Annie Chiu

Albany Medical College, Albany, New York

Felix Lee

University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, Kentucky

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2014 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.