Email This
Please enter a Recipient Address and/or check the Send me a copy checkbox.
Your email has been sent.
Your Name: 

Copy me on this email ()

Recipient's Email: 
Separate multiple email addresses with commas (Limit is 10).
Subject: 
Optional Message: 

Talkin' Turkey

nammi, Nurse, General Practice, 01:33PM Nov 26, 2013

Diane M. Goodman

As I look forward to another bustling holiday season, I have to admit it fills me with as much fear and trepidation as it does joy. While we LOVE the camaraderie and family gatherings of the holiday season, we also know it is a hardly an easy time for healthcare employees, especially nurses. Loss is felt acutely during the holidays, and loneliness and personal crises seem more poignant than those throughout the rest of the year. For us, this means gathering everyone a little closer as we face two empty chairs at the holiday table this year.

No, the holidays are neither easy nor uneventful for nurses.

I once worked an unforgettable ICU shift where we received EIGHT patients suffering from acute myocardial infarctions on Thanksgiving eve. They were of varying degree of severity, but a few of those initial eight did not make it home for the next holiday. We were appalled, and a little horrified. How had this happened?

While a few sidecracks were heard here and there about patients "eating themselves to death", it wasn't that far from the truth. Had anyone taught these patients about moderation? Did they truly understand the dangers of overloading on carbs, and then engaging in vigorous games of touch football with nephews and grandchildren immediately thereafter? Did the women understand their symptoms of shortness of breath and severe fatigue might be harbingers of a deadly process, rather than a side effect of too much time in a hot kitchen?

As nurses, we owe it to our families, friends, and peers to be the voice of caution during the holidays. One of every four deaths in the United States is caused by heart disease (CDC, 2013), which means no it isn't ok to light up "just this once" after enjoying a heavy Thanksgiving meal, and yes, we DO need to call 911 for anyone having symptoms at family get-togethers, even if it means an interruption to the festivities.

Let's keep as many chairs filled as we can during the holidays to come. That includes our own, especially as the median age of nurses places us smack in the middle of a potential danger zone. I believe we can be assertive without being "preachy", we can be concerned without being a stick-in-the-mud, and we can also enjoy the delight and optimism of the holidays without shedding unnecessary tears in the ER.

On the menu for our Thanksgiving? Lots of great conversation and hugs, maybe a skim pumpkin latte', and of course a bit of turkey & fixins'. Low-fat, delicious, and no need to loosen the waistband later!

Have a holiday story to disclose? Please share...

Poll: Holiday festivities seem to encourage foolishness all around...agree? No, holidays throughout the year can be problematic.|Yes, drinking and over-eating seem to get out of control during winter holidays.|It depends on the age and socio-economics of the population, not an easy answer.|
About This Blog

Diane M. Goodman, APRN, BC, MSN-C, CCRN, CNRN, is an acute care nurse practitioner who has worked in many different capacities in healthcare. With more than 30 years of experience in critical care and medical/surgical nursing, she has gained an immense amount of insight into the human and patient experience and an unrelenting passion for the practice of nursing. Her sense of humor and ready wit have assisted her in writing about nursing topics in multiple venues. She is currently certified in neurology, gerontology, critical care, and pain management Diane is a full-time nurse educator for Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville, Illinois and she also works as needed as an acute care nurse practitioner for a busy pulmonology practice.

She lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin, with her husband and several furry "children" (Chihuahuas), who are gracious enough to allow her the time to reflect and write.

Disclosure: Diane M Goodman, APRN, BC, MSN-C, CCRN, CNRN, has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.Poll: Have you encountered a situation where a simple "I'm sorry" or "it's my fault" might have changed the patient/family response? Take our poll! Yes, I should have owned up to my responsibility.|No, I have always been able to defend "my turf" appropriately.|I'm not sure, good thoughts but the outcome would probably be the same.|Other|

• Medscape Community Manager super duper this

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2014 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.