Email This
Please enter a Recipient Address and/or check the Send me a copy checkbox.
Your email has been sent.
Your Name: 

Copy me on this email ()

Recipient's Email: 
Separate multiple email addresses with commas (Limit is 10).
Subject: 
Optional Message: 
The Differential

When the Cape Wears on You

olajibade, Medical Student, 11:44PM Jul 6, 2013

I know many medical students have a bit of a God/Superman complex. After all, we're currently in the business of learning to save lives, a fact made more obvious when people ask you to diagnose a mole they have or something else after they find out you're in medical school. To say that I am fascinated by superheroes is more than a gross oversimplification (I wrote my AMCAS essay on how superheroes inspired me to want to pursue medicine). It's more than the fact that they stand for "Truth, Justice and the American Way" (I'm a dual citizen so that last bit is kind of hard). But at the heart of every superhero is an intricate calculus deciding when they can and cannot -- rather, should not -- use their powers. I'm coming to realize that sometimes medicine is the same way. 

Recently I've been working with a local organization administering community surveys and trying to assess the needs of the different neighborhoods that we visit. I've seen parts of town that have never been on my radar. Few things shock me anymore. I've seen similar and worse levels of poverty in other places. But I have been taken aback by how quick I've been to want to diagnose the survey participants. A little girl in one of the houses has been complaining of an earache and I start asking patient encounter questions and clicking on my penlight. I meet an overweight lady and I start thinking about her HbA1c and glucose levels. The elderly man with a tracheostomy and surgical scars with obviously poorly controlled eczema left me wondering what other conditions were underlying his presentation. In all cases I restrained myself as I'm still only a ¼ of a doctor and being one is not in my current job description. Still, it was hard to see so many of my survey participants not get the needed healthcare, especially a little boy I saw with severe cognitive defects. 

So, back to superheroes for a second... the new Superman adaptation called "Man of Steel" -- apart from pushing the bounds of what the hero is allowed to do in a first movie -- is a great study in how and when one should use their powers. There is a scene after a young Clark Kent saves the lives of his classmates, leaving his parents to deal with the fallout. Mr. Kent takes Clark aside to talk about the consequences of his actions and Clark replies "What was I supposed to do? Let them die?" Mr. Kent doesn't respond at first which is telling in itself. That and some other occurrences lead Clark to a life of perpetual nomadism, saving lives when he can but disappearing right after. 

That's the same question I asked when I met and got to know these people. Granted, their lives weren't in any apparent emergent danger but that didn't stop me from wanting to help in some way. Realistically, there isn't much I could have done and there won't be for a few more years. So I've had to reconcile myself to doing what I can. It's not easy for a stereotypical type A personality like many people I know but it has to be for now. Being too brash especially when underprepared is both a danger to you and those around you. Sometimes it's easy, like when a lady told me her nephew was hospitalized for complications of gout. I told her what I knew, largely because it was on the exam I took days prior: avoid alcohol; avoid meat especially red meat; cherries help some people, soak his joints in warm water during attacks. Apparently, no one had told her any of this before. Hopefully her nephew's gout will be better controlled from now on. My work was done. I can fade into the shadows again, biding my time until I'm ready to don the coat of a fully minted doctor.

Live. Love. Heal.

About This Blog

Medical school and residency can be a stressful, demanding time. These medical students share their insights and experiences, good and bad, in order to create a community of support and understanding for medical students everywhere.

Contact the Webmaster
Poll: Do you think doctors are resistant to change? Yes, almost all the time|Yes, they are more resistant than they are open to change.|It depends on the issue|No, they are more open than they are resistant to change.|No, they are very open to change|

• Amanda Xi

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine, Rochester, Michigan

• Alexa Mieses

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, New York

• Casey Sharpe

University of Texas Medical Branch at Austin, Texas

• Carl Streed Jr

Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland

• Matt Wiepking

University College Cork, Cork, Ireland

• Rick Pescatore

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

• Sara Teichholtz

Medical School for International Health, Be'er Sheva, Israel

Olaseni Ajibade

Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, Georgia

Bryce Krishna Cragg

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas

Zoyah Thawer

McMaster University School of Medicine, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Abraar Karan

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California

Annie Chiu

Albany Medical College, Albany, New York

Felix Lee

University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, Kentucky

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2014 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.