Email This
Please enter a Recipient Address and/or check the Send me a copy checkbox.
Your email has been sent.
Your Name: 

Copy me on this email ()

Recipient's Email: 
Separate multiple email addresses with commas (Limit is 10).
Subject: 
Optional Message: 
The Differential

Hospital Aesthetics Committee

Sung Woo Koh, Medical Student, 10:12PM Oct 18, 2017

MS4, Chicago Medical School

I am currently rotating at a beautiful medical center. Apparently, this hospital has an aesthetics committee that decides how the hospital looks. For example, signs on patient doors need to be put up in a certain way, using those 3M poster strips. The nurses had to take down a bunch of items from the board on one side of the nursing station because of the aesthetics committee's orders. The funny thing was that, on just the other side of the room, they had a similar board with a bunch of items that were deemed not ok on the other side. The committee also apparently determines how the patients' rooms look and so on.

To be fair, all of this is second-hand information I heard from nurses and hospital staff. I've never met the hospital aesthetics committee or received their orders myself. The mysterious thing is that nobody I've talked to seemed to know who the aesthetics committee is. They know they exist and that they give orders on how to keep the hospital aesthetically pleasing. 

What exactly is their scope of practice? Is everything limited to visual aesthetics? What about sound, smell, touch, and other factors that goes into what makes a hospital beautiful? Who is involved in this committee, and how do they carry out their duties if nobody has seen them in action? Are they full-time staff solely dedicated to the aesthetics of the hospital or are they regular hospital staff who spend a fraction of their duty hours in this committees? How is one deemed qualified for this committee?

Although I have many questions about the workings of the aesthetics committee (as well as their existence), I believe they must exist. The hospital looks pretty amazing, and a beautiful facility must point towards the existence of its creator. In contrast, many hospitals I have rotated at most likely do not have an aesthetics committee (or they aren't very good at their job). Maybe someday I'll rise up to adminstrative positions in whatever hospital I work at and encounter an aesthetics committee. I'll collect more information about them and maybe infiltrate myself into the committee itself! This plan may take several decades, but I'll be sure to write a blog post about it when I get there...

Have you heard anything about a hospital aesthetics committee at your institution? Do you even believe they exist? Is anybody from a hospital aesthetics committee reading this post right now?

About This Blog

Medical school and residency can be a stressful, demanding time. These medical students share their insights and experiences, good and bad, in order to create a community of support and understanding for medical students everywhere.

Contact the Webmaster
Poll: Are you still in contact with your roommates from 1st year? Yes, they're right next to me.|Yes, but we don't room together anymore|No, we didn't get along|I didn't have a roommate|

• Alina Khurgel
  • Kolin Meehan
  • Neil C. Bhavsar

Medical Student 
    New Jersey Medical School

• Rick Tumminello

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

• Sung Woo Koh

Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University

• Heather Kagan

Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA

www.heatherkagan.com

• Stephanie Nguyen

Temple University School of Medicine

Philadelphia, PA

• Vincent Migliaccio Michaelson

O&Med School of Medicine|Havard Developed Pilot Program

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2017 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.