Email This
Please enter a Recipient Address and/or check the Send me a copy checkbox.
Your email has been sent.
Your Name: 

Copy me on this email ()

Recipient's Email: 
Separate multiple email addresses with commas (Limit is 10).
Subject: 
Optional Message: 
The Differential

Can Anyone Be a Surgeon?

Amanda Xi, Medical Student, 08:46AM Nov 2, 2013

He held tension on the silk ties and waited for me to cut them free of the knot. I aligned my scissors perpendicular to the tie, moved them down against the knot then turned them 45 degrees before cutting. He proceeded to close another part of the fascial layer as I watched and waited for my next opportunity to cut.

Four weeks later, we were hunched over the neck of a patient whose thyroid my preceptor had just removed. As we started the hunt for bleeding vessels and notified the anesthesiologist that we were nearly done, we were told to slow down; a dose of muscle relaxant had just been given in anticipation of a longer surgery. The surgeon looked at me. "Let the medical student close her up then." My eyes widened in excitement as I was handed the equipment. The intern working with me held out the fascial layers and I started. After finishing the first layer, my intern joked, "That felt like it took you 2 hours!" I chuckled and started to carefully run a subcuticular stitch. When I finished, the anesthesiologist was ready to wake the patient up.

When we delivered the patient to the post-anesthesia care unit, I sat down and wondered if it had really taken me that much longer to close the patient. I knew that I was slow because I wanted to do it right and it had been my first full closure, but I thought that after practicing on the models and feeling comfortable with the instruments, it wouldn't take me that long.

At one point during my surgery clerkship, I was seriously considering going into general surgery and asked for advice from my senior resident. He laughed when I asked if he thought I had enough dexterity and skill. "Anyone can be a surgeon, as long as they practice," he said. With that advice, I felt confident that with time and practice, I could become a competent surgeon. But a recent study in the New England Journal of Medicine, Surgical Skill and Complication Rates after Bariatric Surgery, suggests otherwise. In this study, researchers watched videos of operations and ranked the surgeons on their operative skill. The post-operative complication rates then were compared with the rankings. The researchers found that the rankings were relatively accurate -- sugeons who were ranked lower had higher morbidity and mortality rates. Dr. Pauline Chen wrote about the study in the NY Times, A Vital Measure: Your Surgeon's Skill, which included two operative videos, one from a highly ranked surgeon and another from a lower-ranked surgeon (I encourage you to watch them -- they're really interesting to compare).

Although I probably won't pursue a career in general surgery, this was still an interesting paper that contradicts what many of us have been told. Although I don't believe that all highly ranked surgeons were just naturally talented, I do recognize that there may be a component of artistry that impacts surgical outcome.

What do you think? With basic dexterity, do you think anyone can learn to be a skilled surgeon?

About This Blog

Medical school and residency can be a stressful, demanding time. These medical students share their insights and experiences, good and bad, in order to create a community of support and understanding for medical students everywhere.

Contact the Webmaster
Poll: Do you think doctors are resistant to change? Yes, almost all the time|Yes, they are more resistant than they are open to change.|It depends on the issue|No, they are more open than they are resistant to change.|No, they are very open to change|

• Amanda Xi

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine, Rochester, Michigan

• Alexa Mieses

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, New York

• Casey Sharpe

University of Texas Medical Branch at Austin, Texas

• Carl Streed Jr

Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland

• Matt Wiepking

University College Cork, Cork, Ireland

• Rick Pescatore

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

• Sara Teichholtz

Medical School for International Health, Be'er Sheva, Israel

Olaseni Ajibade

Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, Georgia

Bryce Krishna Cragg

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas

Zoyah Thawer

McMaster University School of Medicine, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Abraar Karan

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California

Annie Chiu

Albany Medical College, Albany, New York

Felix Lee

University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, Kentucky

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2014 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.