Email This
Please enter a Recipient Address and/or check the Send me a copy checkbox.
Your email has been sent.
Your Name: 

Copy me on this email ()

Recipient's Email: 
Separate multiple email addresses with commas (Limit is 10).
Subject: 
Optional Message: 
Critical Appraisal

Intracranial pressure monitoring after traumatic brain injury

Aaron Holley, MD, Critical Care/Intensive Care, 11:19PM Feb 24, 2013

When I was in Afghanistan in 2010 I served as an intensivist at two different combat support hospitals (CSHs) – one was in Kandahar (Kandahar Air Field), the other in Helmand, Province (Camp Dwyer). Both CSHs had modern ICU capabilities, but only the CSH at KAF had a neurosurgeon. We cared for military and civilian patients with traumatic brain injury (TBI).
At both locations my fellow intensivist had been trained in neurocritical care at Johns Hopkins. I recall his having a conversation with the neurosurgeon at KAF, a well-respected physician from the United Kingdom, about the value of intra-cranial pressure (ICP) monitoring. The neurointensivist had more confidence in its value, based on experience and existing guidelines (J of Neurotrauma 2007; 24: S1-106), than did the neurosurgeon.
A recent randomized controlled trial (RCT) cast doubt on the need for invasive ICP monitoring (N Engl J Med 2012; 367:2471-81). For patients with severe TBI, a South American group achieved equal outcomes whether the trigger for intervention was monitored ICP > 20 mm Hg or changes to exam and/or CT scan. An accompanying editorial discussed the study limitations (N Engl J Med 367;26: 2539-2541), and my buddy from neurocritical care pointed out that the clinical and radiographic management group received more hypertonic saline and mild-hyperventilation (pCO2 30-35 mm Hg). Still, the results are provocative.
While at the CSH in Helmand we were forced to manage many Afghan military and civilian casualties without neurosurgical support. I was fortunate to have a neurointensivist with me who could pull this off using methods similar to those described in the NEJM trial. Otherwise, I was terrified to practice without a monitor. Maybe this terror was unfounded. In light of the recent NEJM trial, perhaps the neurosurgeon from the UK had been right to express skepticism about invasive ICP monitoring. It wouldn’t be the first time advice from an expert, based on extensive hands-on experience, proved more valuable than guidelines.

About This Blog

The Critical Appraisal blog provides clinical reviews for the practicing ICU physician, and a concise, objective analysis of recently published critical care literature.

Aaron B. Holley, MD, has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.Poll: What induction agent do you use for rapid-sequence intubation in critically ill patient with sepsis? ketamine|etomidate|midazolam|ketamine|propofol|

• Aaron Holley

Aaron B. Holley, MD, is a Pulmonary/Sleep and Critical Care Medicine (PSCCM) physician at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) at Bethesda, Maryland. He ran an ICU in a combat support hospital in the Helmand Province while serving in Afghanistan, and is currently the research coordinator for the PSCCM fellowship at WRNMMC.

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2014 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.