Email This
Please enter a Recipient Address and/or check the Send me a copy checkbox.
Your email has been sent.
Your Name: 

Copy me on this email ()

Recipient's Email: 
Separate multiple email addresses with commas (Limit is 10).
Subject: 
Optional Message: 

Shop Talk

Mallory Kremer, MD, Ob/Gyn & Women's Health, 02:19PM Oct 25, 2013

"Please suck my tip". Not something you hear everyday?

It was a terse instruction from my attending, as we were working through a difficult excursion in the OR. He meant that he wanted better visibility at the tip of his kelly clamp. Really, there is no elegant way to express that.

As an OB GYN resident, ridiculous comments in the OR are standard fare, and can provide much needed comical relief in tense situations. I wish I had the presence of mind at that point in the case to whisper, "That's what she said".

Yet another golden moment from my benign GYN surgery rotation occurred as the attending and fellow in a case stood back to admire our handiwork. We had just completed what we call a "Vag Special", which consists of a vaginal hysterectomy, a uterosacral suspension, and anterior and posterior repair.

"It's not too tight?" asked the attending

"No, not too tight." (fellow)

"And not too loose?" (attending)

"No, no..."

"It's just right" they both said in unision, chuckling.

Oh, boy. There is something inherently off-kilter in our line of work. You could have the same conversation about a facelift, I suppose. But it wouldn't have quite the same ring.

About This Blog

As a fourth year resident in OB GYN, this blog is an opportunity to write something more enjoyable than a discharge summary. (That is, when I remember to use it!). The blog explores and encourages discussion about women’s health issues. Along the way, it will share the stories and travails of being an OB GYN in-training at a county hospital in middle America.

Mallory Kremer, MD, has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.Poll: What does March Madness mean to you? Having fun with our bracket at work.|More beer!|There have been an inexplicable number of people wearing Florida jerseys and Dayton Hoodies this week...|Does March madness refer to all the fish frys popping up this month?|My crocuses are coming. Yay!|

• Mallory Kremer

Mallory Kremer, MD, a  fourth year resident in Obstetrics and Gynecology, is working hard to keep her head above water. She loves to read, do yoga, sleep, and eat... all things in short supply in residency.

Social Bookmarking
Add this blog post to your favorite Social Bookmarking site.
  • ADD TO FACEBOOK 

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2014 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.