Email This
Please enter a Recipient Address and/or check the Send me a copy checkbox.
Your email has been sent.
Your Name: 

Copy me on this email ()

Recipient's Email: 
Separate multiple email addresses with commas (Limit is 10).
Subject: 
Optional Message: 
The Differential

Water All Around, And Not a Drop to Drink

Rick Pescatore, DO, Emergency Medicine, 08:11PM Sep 15, 2013

The air is turning colder in my small section of the world. Dry brown leaves fall silently from trees that have seen more winters than most, and it seems that all too quickly we've traded the air conditioning for the fireplace. I use the coming cold as an excuse to relax in front of the flames.

The latest rotation switch, moving from a sleepy rural clinic to a bustling emergency department in the Philadelphia inner city, has been as abrupt a change as the weather. Where much of my time in the western valley town was spent chatting with hospital staff while waiting for occasional patients, my shifts back in Philly are defined by constant patient turnover, overflowing waiting rooms, and only the rare opportunity to meet my newest team. When my school assigned me to the far-off rural rotation, it was meant to be an exploration of medicine delivered to those with little access to healthcare. It took coming back to this city Emergency Department to see the true consequences of the same.

Hardly a day passes where the patients I see aren't victims of their own circumstances. Late-stage diagnoses that offer the grimmest of prognoses. Resuscitation beds filled not by the acutely ill, but by individuals forced to use the curtained rooms as an unfortunate surrogate for a primary care physician. Nearly all of them cling to a government-subsidised insurance card, underlining the oft-forgotten point that access to healthcare insurance rarely translates to access to healthcare.

I'm thrilled to be back in a setting where I feel just a little more at home. As much as I enjoyed my sojourn in the tiny mountain clinic, it's the flourescent lights, ever-chirping monitors, and constant pace that I crave. With two more weeks left in the emergency department, and just a few more days left of summer, I hope I can make some small difference among those with such little access to care.

About This Blog

Medical school and residency can be a stressful, demanding time. These medical students share their insights and experiences, good and bad, in order to create a community of support and understanding for medical students everywhere.

Contact the Webmaster
Poll: Should we change the way Board Exams are used? Yes; it should be pass or fail and used for licensing only. |No; they are still the best way to judge our residency application and should be used for such.|Undecided |

• Amanda Xi

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine, Rochester, Michigan

• Alexa Mieses

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, New York

• Casey Sharpe

University of Texas Medical Branch at Austin, Texas

• Carl Streed Jr

Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland

• Matt Wiepking

University College Cork, Cork, Ireland

• Rick Pescatore

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

• Sara Teichholtz

Medical School for International Health, Be'er Sheva, Israel

Olaseni Ajibade

Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, Georgia

Bryce Krishna Cragg

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas

Zoyah Thawer

McMaster University School of Medicine, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Abraar Karan

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California

Annie Chiu

Albany Medical College, Albany, New York

Felix Lee

University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, Kentucky

Matthew Marschall

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2014 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.