Email This
Please enter a Recipient Address and/or check the Send me a copy checkbox.
Your email has been sent.
Your Name: 

Copy me on this email ()

Recipient's Email: 
Separate multiple email addresses with commas (Limit is 10).
Subject: 
Optional Message: 
Wei on Arthritis

More "Conventional Wisdom" Bites The Dust

Nathan Wei, MD, Rheumatology, 12:45PM Mar 8, 2013

Recent studies showing calcium supplements increase the risk of cardiac events (http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/780132) and calcitonin increases the risk of neoplasia, follow the example of other accepted medical recommendations which have fallen by the wayside.

These examples bring to mind two situations where I feel uncomfortable.  The first is advising patients what to do.  It seems every other week the esteemed New England Journal of Medicine comes out with an article telling us caffeine is either good for us or bad for us.  So what do we tell our patients?

The second is in the professional realm.  I can remember at least one episode in medical school when I was taken to task by an "esteemed professor" for voicing my dissent about a popular medical theory.Let's just say this wasn't the first time I challenged authority... nor was it the last. Still... the academic establishment often resembles the plush velvet, cigar smoke filled, "old boys clubs" of yore. Smug in their certainty.

While I feel uncomfortable about studies that upset our current construct, I also am grateful we can maintain a sense that nothing is engraved in ivy-covered stone.

About This Blog

Dr. Wei comments on developments in rheumatology... informative, sometimes provocative... sometimes irreverent... and no punches pulled.

Disclosure: Nathan Wei, MD, has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

• Nathan Wei

Nathan Wei, MD, is a graduate of Swarthmore College and the Jefferson Medical College. He completed his residency at the University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and his fellowship in arthritis at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. Dr. Wei is an acknowledged national expert in rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis and is the author of more than 65 publications in the peer reviewed literature. He is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians, a Fellow of the American College of Rheumatology, and is the only American rheumatologist member in the Arthroscopy Association of North America. Dr. Wei is considered an authority and expert in stem cell and platelet-rich plasma (PRP) procedures. He is active in clinical research and is the Director of the Arthritis Treatment Center located in Frederick, Maryland.

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2014 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.