Email This
Please enter a Recipient Address and/or check the Send me a copy checkbox.
Your email has been sent.
Your Name: 

Copy me on this email ()

Recipient's Email: 
Separate multiple email addresses with commas (Limit is 10).
Subject: 
Optional Message: 
The Differential

How a Heart Breaks

Rick Pescatore, DO, Emergency Medicine, 02:10PM Jan 12, 2014

The Trooper was waiting outside tonight as Sam and I pulled up to the address displayed on our glowing screens. A white strobe flashed over his face and we both mumbled our approval--"Ah, it's John. He's a good guy." I hopped from the passenger seat and slung my red bag across my chest as he walked over to the rig. John didn't have much info for us. A fall, maybe a broken leg. He'd managed to corral most of the pets in a room off to the corner. "Wear your masks, guys--it's pretty bad in there." We chuckled, but John wasn't smiling. He'd be waiting otuside as we tended to the patient within.

Several days worth of newspapers littered the driveway as I walked to the door, a white plastic portal concealed behind layers of filth and mold. The rusted springs groaned in protest as I pulled a broken handle and entered the home.

We were almost thrown backward by the overpowering putridity. The smell of stale litter, molding food scraps, and raw sewage infiltrated every pore and filled each nostril. Piles of pizza boxes abutted stacks of old newspapers and magazines. Bottles and cans covered a cloth couch, itself bearing dozens of stains of every color. Cat litter sprinkled every inch of flooring, and we dodged continuously as the animals dashed back and forth, sent into a frenzy by the rush of visitors. A woman sat quietly on the floor, her back to the kitchen counter. "Not again," I sighed to myself. My heart broke at the sight of another patient who'd been left needing help for days.

Audrey had fallen while making breakfast. Unable to reach the phone, she'd resigned herself to waiting out the pain shooting down her leg. When it felt better, when she was strong enough, she would crawl to her bedroom and call for help. That was three days ago. Since then, she'd sat quietly, her cats for company and the kitchen TV playing continuously. A few boxes of cereal were within reach, and she munched on chocolate crisps as the hours passed. She couldn't reach her medicine--the insulin and beta blockers that sat on the bathroom counter--but she figured a few days wouldn't hurt.

When she needed to use the bathroom, she had no choice but to relieve herself where she sat, and days worth of waste fermented all around her. The already-filthy home grew more noxious. She vomited, but, again, there was no rush to the sink, no cloth with which to wipe her face. As Audrey's blood sugar climbed higher, she felt thirstier and thirstier. The kitchen sink, just a few feet away, taunted. Her cats cried out to be fed.

John's a good cop. Driving by, he had noticed the accumulation of newspapers.With a car in the driveway and light shining inside, he thought it prudent to knock on Audrey's door--a decision that likely saved her life. With no family to speak of and no obligations to attend, it could have been any number of days until Audrey was able to call for help. As it stood, her blood sugar was over 600, her blood pressure nearly twice normal. When I pinched Audrey's forearm, it remained fully tented and rubbery to the touch. Her cracked lips and white tongue pulled air deeply into fibrotic lungs. Her heart raced.

We quickly loaded Audrey into the waiting ambulance and set off for the hospital, and I worked silently in the back even as my confused patient insisted that we take some of the cookies she'd baked a few days earlier. Soon enough, Audrey's mind began to clear, but she could think only to apologize for the state of her home: "ever since my husband died, I just can't keep up..." I nodded and smiled. As we bounced down the long road to the hospital, we talked about what had happened, what went wrong, and how she was feeling now. When all the bases were covered, the conversation turned to TV shows--her favorite episodes and characters. We chatted about the Moon, unusually bright and sharp tonight, and the glowing stars that filled the Pennsylvania sky. Despite the pain in her leg and the ache in her back, Audrey was thrilled to have someone to talk with, and I was happy to oblige as we neared our destination.

The turnover went smoothly. A largely unfilled ED held plenty of room, and nurses and technicians were ready immediately to help Audrey out of her stained clothes and into a hospital gown. I swung the curtain behind me and spoke softly to the nurse assuming care. He listened as I told him of the scene and nodded in agreement at my suggestion to ask social services to approach Audrey about assisted living. With that, I peaked back into the room where my patient now lay, her second bag of saline running swiftly into her arm. I waved goodbye and headed back out to the rig to prepare for the next call.

About This Blog

Medical school and residency can be a stressful, demanding time. These medical students share their insights and experiences, good and bad, in order to create a community of support and understanding for medical students everywhere.

Contact the Webmaster
Poll: Should we change the way Board Exams are used? Yes; it should be pass or fail and used for licensing only. |No; they are still the best way to judge our residency application and should be used for such.|Undecided |

• Amanda Xi

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine, Rochester, Michigan

• Alexa Mieses

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, New York

• Casey Sharpe

University of Texas Medical Branch at Austin, Texas

• Carl Streed Jr

Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland

• Matt Wiepking

University College Cork, Cork, Ireland

• Rick Pescatore

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

• Sara Teichholtz

Medical School for International Health, Be'er Sheva, Israel

Olaseni Ajibade

Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, Georgia

Bryce Krishna Cragg

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas

Zoyah Thawer

McMaster University School of Medicine, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Abraar Karan

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California

Annie Chiu

Albany Medical College, Albany, New York

Felix Lee

University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, Kentucky

Matthew Marschall

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2014 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.