Email This
Please enter a Recipient Address and/or check the Send me a copy checkbox.
Your email has been sent.
Your Name: 

Copy me on this email ()

Recipient's Email: 
Separate multiple email addresses with commas (Limit is 10).
Subject: 
Optional Message: 
The Differential

Don't Discount Sexism in the Physician Gender Pay Gap

bfg9000, Medical Student, 04:16AM Feb 7, 2011

The story that made headlines last week was that the pay gap between male and female physicians is widening.  Even when specialty and work hours are accounted for, an unexplained $16,819 gap exists between newly trained men and women doctors.  The question remaining is why.

In a blog post about the topic, I wrote that perhaps the authors were a bit too quick to dismiss gender discrimination as a contributing factor.  (The pay gap was smaller in 1999, and they thought it unlikely that sexism had increased over the last decade.  They thus preferred the explanation that women are intentionally choosing lower-paying jobs because these jobs provide greater flexibility and family-friendly benefits, such as not being on call after certain hours.)

As a female who aspires not to be underpaid after graduating with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, I have a vested interest in thinking about these issues.  There are many, many reasons for the gender pay gap, as well as for the dearth of women in positions of higher status.  (For a great perspective on why we have too few women leaders, check out Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg's take on women's tendency to undervalue and second-guess themselves.)

The 16,000 dollar answer probably is a combination of societal and cultural norms, as well as intrinsic differences between the ways that men and women act in the workplace.  

Thankfully, I haven't experienced any discrimination in medical school.  This says a lot, since my "hyperfeminist" radar is particularly primed to notice anything.  I have only registered two subtle consistencies -- one intrinsic and one extrinsic to women:

1. Males ask more questions in lecture (though not in smaller group discussions).  Additionally, whenever four volunteers are needed for a demonstration during lecture, there are always one or zero girls represented (even though the class is 50% female).

2. Whenever we introduce ourselves in small groups, if there is a male on one side of the professor and a female on the other, the professor will always pick the male to begin introductions and go around the table from there.

These are small things, no doubt.  And they will probably never be accounted for in any study.  So, to leave you with a more egregious example:

My female friend at Yale was in her physics lab class, and her labmate was male.  One day, her labmate was having trouble solving a few equations, so my friend was helping him out.  As she was doing so, the professor walked by and said to her, "This part you should be doing alone; don't ask your partner for help."

This was in 2008, the same year the study found the $16,819 pay gap.  Hence my wariness about concluding that inequities are more likely the result of women's voluntary negotiations than about lingering biases.

About This Blog

Medical school and residency can be a stressful, demanding time. These medical students share their insights and experiences, good and bad, in order to create a community of support and understanding for medical students everywhere.

Contact the Webmaster
Poll: Do you think doctors are resistant to change? Yes, almost all the time|Yes, they are more resistant than they are open to change.|It depends on the issue|No, they are more open than they are resistant to change.|No, they are very open to change|

• Amanda Xi

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine, Rochester, Michigan

• Alexa Mieses

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, New York

• Casey Sharpe

University of Texas Medical Branch at Austin, Texas

• Carl Streed Jr

Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland

• Matt Wiepking

University College Cork, Cork, Ireland

• Rick Pescatore

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

• Sara Teichholtz

Medical School for International Health, Be'er Sheva, Israel

Olaseni Ajibade

Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, Georgia

Bryce Krishna Cragg

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas

Zoyah Thawer

McMaster University School of Medicine, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Abraar Karan

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California

Annie Chiu

Albany Medical College, Albany, New York

Felix Lee

University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, Kentucky

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2014 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.