Email This
Please enter a Recipient Address and/or check the Send me a copy checkbox.
Your email has been sent.
Your Name: 

Copy me on this email ()

Recipient's Email: 
Separate multiple email addresses with commas (Limit is 10).
Subject: 
Optional Message: 
All Joints Considered

Decreasing Levels of IgM-RF and Anti-CCP with RA Treatment

Bruno Oliveira, MD, Rheumatology, 07:08PM Sep 14, 2009

This may sound familiar to young Rheumatologists and will give seasoned Rheumatologists a feeling of "I told you so". Here is the scenario: You are seeing a patient with RA, who was previously followed by a retired partner. The patient was diagnosed with RA in the 80's or early 90's and you can't find a RF to speak of. By looking at the patient, you do not see any chronic deformities from RA. The patient has taken the same DMARD for several years. So, you question the diagnosis (as you have been trained to do). You order a RF and anti-CCP and they come back negative. Next, you suggest tapering and discontinuation of the DMARD and next thing you know they come back with horrendous synovitis.

A letter in the Annals of Rheumatic Diseases may shed some light on this phenomenon. The authors reported on their experience with 21 RA patients treated with COBRA-like regimens for 40 weeks. Decreasing levels of RF have been reported in the past, but this report seems to be the first to demonstrate profound decreases in anti-CCP levels as well. (Link to paper)

Patients have asked me if their RF or anti-CCP should be repeated to see if their RA was under remission or good control. I have always answered that this was not necessary because these tests would not necessarily reflect disease activity. Maybe, I wasn't 100% correct in my statement.

About This Blog

Dr. Bruno Oliveira, a young rheumatologist in Montana, shares his practice experiences, computer tools, and productivity tips for Rheumatology practice.

Dr. Bruno Oliveira assumes no responsibility for comments made by readers, none of which are moderated prior to publication. Reader comments are subject to Medscape's community code of conduct. Individuals seeking specific information about a drug's efficacy, indication, dose, or safety profile should consult an appropriate drug information resource.

Disclosure: Bruno S. Oliveira, MD, has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

• Bruno Oliveira

I am a Rheumatologist working at Billings Clinic in Billings, Montana. You heard it, Montana!

The content of this blog does not necessarily reflect the viewpoints of Medscape.
Share This
Add this blog page to your favorite Social Media site.

Social Bookmarking
Add this blog post to your favorite Social Bookmarking site.
  • ADD TO DEL.ICIO.US 
  • ADD TO FACEBOOK 
  • ADD TO YAHOO MYWEB 

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2014 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.