Email This
Please enter a Recipient Address and/or check the Send me a copy checkbox.
Your email has been sent.
Your Name: 

Copy me on this email ()

Recipient's Email: 
Separate multiple email addresses with commas (Limit is 10).
Subject: 
Optional Message: 

Proper Frequency of Screening Colonoscopy in Our Patients: American or British?

Started By: carypresant, MD, Oncology, Hematology/Oncology, 12:07AM Dec 24, 2013

How often do we recommend repeat colonoscopy in our patients at risk of colon polyps or cancer? Do we just leave this to gastroenterologists and primary physicians, or do we make stronger recommendations to pour patents and our medical colleagues (e.g. at tumor boards)?

A publication by M. Martinez and coauthors (Ann Intern Med 2012; 157: 856) compared the impact of using British rather than American guidelines. In England, patients with >5 small (<1 cm) adenomas or 3 or more adenomas at least one >1cm are considered high risk, and repeat colonoscopy is recommended in 1 year. When following the U.K. guidelines, there was an increase of 19% in finding and removing new polyps. 

Since medical oncologists are frequently sennding our patients for colonoscopy following colon cancer care, It is important for us to be aware of this issue. More polyp removals means better prevention. With this recent publication in mind, I am now referring such patients with high risk colonoscopy results for earlier repeat procedure. 

Poll: When you follow your colon cancer patients, do you refer patients for their colonoscopy? 1. Yes, I follow them carefully.|2. No, I let the PCP handle repeat colonoscopy screening.|3. No, I let the gastroenterologist monitor this.|
Poll
When you follow your colon cancer patients, do you refer patients for their colonoscopy?
1. Yes, I follow them carefully.
2. No, I let the PCP handle repeat colonoscopy screening.
3. No, I let the gastroenterologist monitor this.
Other: 
  • Email ThisEmail This
  • Report Abuse Report Abuse
  • Add to Watch List Add to Watch List
  • Average Rating:
    star placeholderstar placeholderstar placeholderstar placeholderstar placeholder Rate This star placeholderstar placeholderstar placeholderstar placeholderstar placeholder  (0 votes)
4000 characters left

Add A Comment

Add To My Watch List
Enable Email Alert

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2014 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.