Email This
Please enter a Recipient Address and/or check the Send me a copy checkbox.
Your email has been sent.
Your Name: 

Copy me on this email ()

Recipient's Email: 
Separate multiple email addresses with commas (Limit is 10).
Subject: 
Optional Message: 

Ageism

Started By: vital2177, Nurse, Cardiology, General, 5:41PM Apr 28, 2013

I too with over 40 years experience, clean license and trouble finding a nursing job. I am healthy, as able as most 30 year olds and still call back are absent,, things that make you go hmmm
  • Email ThisEmail This
  • Report Abuse Report Abuse
  • Add to Watch List Add to Watch List
  • Average Rating:
    starstarstar placeholderstar placeholderstar placeholder Your Rating starstarstarstarstar placeholder  (3 votes)

#1 of 2, Added By: 6-5-57, Nurse, Geriatrics, 9:16AM Apr 29, 2013

Understand that it's not you. It's a combination of the ACA and the fact that healthcare is no longer about the patient, it is about the bottom line.

My nursing career has never been about the money. Money is a means to an end. Even if I don't demand a high salary, the employer is worried that I will leave for more money or they will eventually have to pay me more money due to my years of experience.

I took a leadership course at Towson University when I was in graduate school for healthcare administration. Money might be a motivating factor in the beginning but it is not what keeps employees at work.

Look at the thread for the Generation Gap in Nursing. There is a very good post about what the Millennial generation has witnessed growing up. They have watched while their aunts, uncles, mothers, etc. worked diligently and were loyal employees get the axe.

You now have administrators in hospitals, nursing homes and home health agencies that are 30 years our junior. They don't have loyalty because to them it doesn't give them any advantages in today's work environment. Why work hard. It doesn't give you a leg up on your competitor.

When we as a society started focusing only on the bottom line and devalued honesty, loyalty and hard work is when the country took the wrong fork in the road. And that includes healthcare.

Every supervisor, administrator and manager I have interviewed with agree on on one thing----healthcare is a mess and it is only getting worse.

We cannot legislate our way out of the problem. The new rules imposed by CMS regarding penalties for Medicare patients who are readmitted less than thirty days after discharge is going to hurt patients, not healthcare behemoths.

The huge healthcare conglomerates will invent new ways to circumvent the system including partnering with other providers to avoid paying the penalty. That means symptoms will be ignored until the patient is past the 30-day window. By then it may be too late for a positive outcome.

Read the article on Sacred Heart Hospital in Chicago. It will make you think twice about getting another job in healthcare.

We need Medicare for the entire country. It is the only way to put a stop to the corruption and greed. Doctors need to be put on a salary and get rid of fee-for-service.

#2 of 2, Added By: motherof2, Nurse Practitioner, Family Medicine, 11:30AM Apr 29, 2013

The problem with being salaried, is that I am getting paid to see 20 or 40 patients. Which would a provider choose to do? Lack of incentive creates issues to.
Community Pulse
New Comments in My Watch List:

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2014 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.