Rubor, Dolor, Calor, Tumor
Blog Address: http://blogs.medscape.com/rdct
June 18, 2012

A First I Did Not Want

I have mentioned in the past the ID is like birding, only interesting.  I have my life list, microbes of one sort or another that I have seen.  I do note as I go over these essays from years in the past that I am increasingly unable to remember all the cool cases I have seen and it is a good thing I have this blog to help me keep track.  If you are a young ID doc I would suggest you start and maintain a simple database of all your consults: just bug, organ, outcome and medical record number.  When you are an old codger like me with a failing memory you will appreciate it.  On the other hand, no one will ever be OCD enough to do it.

There isarealso the diseases I hope never to see.  Smallpox probably tops the list, followed closely by measles. &...

Posted By: Mark Crislip  

June 13, 2012

Failure

ID is the canary in the coal mine of medicine.  When the hospital is slow, ID gets sllllooooooooooowwwwwwww.  Usually this kind of slow occurs in August when everyone is on vacation, but our nosocomial infections rates continue to plummet and with it the total on my W2.  I still have a sufficiency of things to do, but I like seeing acute ill patients.  On occasion an in...

June 7, 2012

The Curves Continue to Diverge

Knowledge increases exponentially, I learn linearly. Except for spelling. Net negative over the last 55 years. There is always more I do not know that I do know.  Being a expert is being ignorant with style and easy access to PubMed.

My expertise is greater in those area where I either have an interest or it is a consistent part of my practice.  There are infections that ...

June 5, 2012

In Cold Blood

I expect some illnesses to make people ill.  It flabbers my gaster on occasion when patients are remarkably non-toxic from their infection.

The patient has a crush injury when his work transportation falls on him, breaking a smattering of bones. He takes to his bed for a few days, but eventually he is brought in to the ER, of course at the insistence of his wife. I have noted be...

June 4, 2012

Will do ID for food

Busy weekend.  6 consults at 4 hospitals.  One had insurance and it was Medicare.  Sigh.  Probably did not even make my gas money.  Good thing dinner and a show Saturday night was inexpensive; if you ever get a change to see Emily Wells, do not pass it up.   Most of what I saw this weekend is a day or two away from a blog entry since cultures and studies to fi...

June 1, 2012

One Thing

Yeah.  There is only one thing I trust, and that is the cultures.  When a culture is positive, then, and only then, can you really have a handle on what is happening and why.  Well, perhaps that is a wee bit o' hyperbole, and my wife doesn't read the blog so I can exaggerate.  But a positive culture does help clear muddy water.

The patient has a rocky course: GI...

May 31, 2012

First Case Ever

There are services I dread.  I hate it when I get a call from an eye doc.  Eye infections make me nervous and I never know for sure how where to put that extra ‘h’ in ohphthalhmohlohgy. Something like that, I guess.  It is like getting enough ’s’s and ‘i’s in  Mississisiippiii.  

The other service I dread is OB.  Inf...

May 25, 2012

Five Months Qualifies for Sustained

Patient has E. fecalis in the blood in January.  Gets 2 weeks of IV ampicillin.  In March has E. fecalis in the blood.  Has a negative TEE for anything on his bovine AV and CT of the abdomen and gets 4 weeks of ampicillin.  This week?  E. fecalis in the blood and an exquisitely painful hip.

The sine qua non of endocarditi...

May 23, 2012

Great Pox Never Goes Away

Small is gone, Chicken is not what it was once was thanks to vaccines, Cow and Monkey show up on occasion but Great keeps coming back or doesn't go way.

When I started practice in the final decade of the last century, most of the syphilis I saw was in old women.  They would have neurologic symptoms, dementia or hearing loss, and a VDRL would be checked and it would be positive...

May 21, 2012

Mrs. Brodie

I will always remember Mrs. Brodie.  On the first day of Med School the Dean gave us a pep talk on what it means to be a doctor.  He talked about Mrs. Brodie.  Pre-HIPAA or he changed the name, Mrs. Brodie had months of decline until an astute physician, probably the Dean, made the diagnosis of sprue and her health was restored.  As a result one classmate referred to our g...

« previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 next »
About This Blog

For the Benefit of Mr Kite, there will be ID tonight. Infectious Diseases! Antibiotics! Viruses and Bacteria and Fungi! Oh my! Exclamation marks!!!!!! No trampolines, nor will any band be playing at 10 to 6. And Henry the Horse died of the Strangles. Sorry. That's the problem with infections.

The endless excitement that is the daily practice of Infectious Diseases in a Portland teaching hospital! The need for meta data!

Every day I make infectious disease rounds in the hospital and see at least one cool case or learn something new. 25 years and I still do not know everything. Why be selfish and keep all of that wonder and knowledge to myself? This blog will be a mostly qod account of days events, a cool ID case, a referenced pearl, and a minimum of 1 horrible, yet ultimately feeble, attempt at humor.

While usually written in the present tense, the cases are not necessarily current and all identifying information is altered or obscured as long as it is not absolutely pertinent to the case. Can't have a female with prostate infection for example.

I write these at night or in spare moments. There is always someone who will quibble about spelling, punctuation or grammar. My response is live with it. It's a blog, not Mandel.

Read and listen to more of me at my multimedia empire linked below.

The first 2 years blog posts have been collected and edited and are available on Amazon as The Puswhisperer, Volumes 1 and 2. Really. Perfect for the pus lover in your life.
Because The World Needs More Mark Crislip (tm).

Disclosure: Mark A. Crislip, MD, has disclosed the following relevant financial relationships:
Received income in an amount equal to or greater than $250 from: Pusware LLC
Have a 5% or greater equity interest in: Pusware LLC (owner)

• Mark Crislip

Mark Crislip, MD, has been practicing in infectious diseases in Portland, Oregon, since 1990. He is nobody from nowhere, but he has an enormous ego that leads him to think someone might care about what he has to say about infectious diseases. And so he blogs and podcasts and writes on the most endlessly fascinating specialty in all of medicine.

Mark A. Crislip, MD, has disclosed the following relevant financial relationships: Owner, Pusware LLC. He as not talked to a drug rep in over 25 years and does not even eat the pizza provided at conferences. But he is for sale for the right price. Please. Someone. Buy me.

The content of this blog does not necessarily reflect the viewpoints of Medscape.
Share This
Add this blog page to your favorite Social Media site.

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2017 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.