Psychiatry - East and West
Blog Address: http://blogs.medscape.com/psychdiary
January 21, 2009

Is it the Disease? Or the Lack of A Cure?

I find treating patients with a borderline personality disorder particularly challenging. And admit it, you probably do too. After all, these patients can be demanding, exasperating, annoying. Although I begin the session with the best of intentions, I find that I have to remind myself that the patient is in pain, that their behavior is a result of a disease. 

I know I am not alone. The diagnosis "Borderline personality disorder" is often reduced to "borderline" as in "The patient is borderline"

The word has taken on pejorative connotations, it's an expletive, to be uttered when one is utterly frustrated with any lack of progress, or success with treatment.

But what if there was a treatment for the disorder? What if we had a pill that would magically cu...

Posted By: Shyam Bhat  

January 14, 2009

Letter from India

Happy New Year. A bit belated. My excuse is that I've been traveling. I was in India, visting family and old friends. Bangalore, a city of 8 million people, is not the same city I grew up in.

I found myself searching for signs of the home I knew, looking around, for familiar signs. It was only when I stopped looking for what was that I was able to see what is. 

Do we ...

December 17, 2008

Of Tabloids and Tablets

This article in a recent issue of the Boston Globe highlights SSRI induced sexual side-effects.

The reporter, a Carey Goldberg, says, "...Sexual symptoms have long been known side effects of the popular Prozac class of antidepressants, but a growing body of research s...

« previous 1 2 3 4 
About This Blog

A blog that offers a cross cultural perspective of psychiatry, and psychiatrists.

• Shyam Bhat

Shyam K Bhat MD is an internist, and psychiatrist. He has lived and worked in England, the United States and India.

His clinical and research interests focus on cross cultural psychiatry, and integrative psychiatry and medicine.

The content of this blog does not necessarily reflect the viewpoints of Medscape.
Share This
Add this blog page to your favorite Social Media site.

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2018 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.