Reflections PRN
Blog Address: http://blogs.medscape.com/reflectionsprn
September 22, 2017

How I Misdiagnosed My Own PE

I went to work once with bilateral pulmonary emboli. It was shortly before my birthday, and I didn't want to call in. Even worse, I didn't really know I was that sick.

Yes, I was the laughingstock of nursing peers at the time, although not that kind of funny. Only once I had fully recovered, and not repeated the event, was it really funny in a side splitting kind of way.

Yes, I did it.

Before you start gasping, realize that nurses do similar things, so it's not all that unusual. Nurses are made of very stern stuff. Nurses go to work in labor, with acute appendicitis, walking on fractures, with pneumonia, etc...

Posted By: Diane Goodman  

September 15, 2017

When Disaster Strikes; the Good, the Bad, and the Really, Really Ugly

As nurses, we have experienced raw human emotion during our careers, and witnessed polarizing reactions and responses when Mother Nature hurls her worst at humanity. We see surprising acts of heroism. and at times, cruelty beyond belief.

Such has been the case of Harvey and Irma, the worst Hurricanes to make landfall...

September 8, 2017

Are We Really Listening to Our Patients?

When we get very serious about examining patient satisfaction scores and feedback, we learn patients fear they may not be receiving the type of concern and empathy they desire.

We've heard the one about how patients prefer the smiling, engaging nurse performing a haphazard dressing change as opposed to the stern-face...

September 1, 2017

Why Life Thrives on Purpose

It's been twenty years since Lady Diana's life was cut tragically short, but absolutely no one has forgotten her.

She started gathering steam and stamina as her purpose in life grew ever stronger with age, whether it was her passion for AIDS, her work with leprosy victims, or landmines, or her beautiful devotion to h...

August 25, 2017

Does Silence Equal Approval?

In the news, a Holocaust survivor recently stated that silence is 'approval' of racism.

Could 'silence' also be approval of additional acts of egregious prejudice or infringement of human rights?

Let's think about that for a minute.

August 18, 2017

The RDA Story: How Rude, Dismissive, and Aggressive Communication Affects Patient Safety

Any nurse could probably remember an instance when they've been snapped at, or may themselves have spoken to a colleague more harshly than intended. These instances DO need to occur on the job; particularly if a patient, nurse, or family member is in immediate danger...e.g. if the building has caught fire, lol.

Anyth...

August 11, 2017

"Grit" As A Nursing Competency

I was a lucky child. I grew up with a parent who taught me that failure was a necessary evil, that in fact, failure was to be viewed as falling UP not DOWN, and that we needed a decent amount of it in life to build appropriate character.

At that time, no one had heard of Angela Duckworth or the concept of "grit", but...

August 4, 2017

Why Grief Has No Expiration Date

Over the course of a nursing career, depending on the specialty chosen, a nurse may spend many days counseling patients and families in grief-stricken situations. With time, and experience, we learn the right things to say to provide comfort to those in need.

Unfortunately, time also has a way of handing us our own l...

July 28, 2017

When Insurers Deny Lifesaving Care

Imagine being a teenager, or any young adult, with goals and ambitions similar to your peers. You have a strong desire to succeed in life, and that desire includes academia. You have studied hard, planned ahead, and made it to college. You've done well, and you have met several of your goals.

There is only one ...

July 21, 2017

Three Strikes & You're Out? The Continuing Debate On Narcan Use

As nurses, when we think of the rise in opioid use and the threat of overdose, we mostly think in terms of the human price, the cost of human lives and the loss to mankind, the suffering of families, etc.

We don't always think of cities and towns that are hardest hit in terms of human productivity and resources, whic...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 next »
About This Blog

Diane M. Goodman, APRN, BC, MSN-C, CCRN, CNRN, is an acute care nurse practitioner who has worked in many different capacities in healthcare. With more than 30 years of experience in critical care and medical/surgical nursing, she has gained an immense amount of insight into the human and patient experience and an unrelenting passion for the practice of nursing. Her sense of humor and ready wit have assisted her in writing about nursing topics in multiple venues. She is currently certified in neurology, gerontology, critical care, and pain management Diane is a full-time nurse educator for Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville, Illinois and she also works as needed as an acute care nurse practitioner for a busy pulmonology practice.

She lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin, with her husband and several furry "children" (Chihuahuas), who are gracious enough to allow her the time to reflect and write.

Disclosure: Diane M Goodman, APRN, BC, MSN-C, CCRN, CNRN, has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.Poll: What do you believe in the Charlie Gard case? Please add your thoughts below: I believe he is being brought to the states strictly for altruistic reasons (continuity of care).|I believe some of the above but maybe a tweak of politics as well.|I believe he is being brought here for cinematic appearance (the press).|I believe he is being focused on as misdirection (forget the health bill, Russians, Syria, etc.)|I have no idea why the Pope and President Trump jumped on board this case.|

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2017 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.