From the Editor: Medscape Nurses
Blog Address: http://blogs.medscape.com/nurse-editor
April 28, 2014

Blood Pressure Cuffs and Disease Transmission

[Editor's Note: Medscape recently published a slideshow describing recommendations for what clinicians should wear, to minimize the risk of infection. See: Hang Up Your Lab Coat (What Not to Wear -- for Patient Care) This publication also mentioned decontaminating stethoscopes between patients and it led to many comments by readers focusing on other areas of contamination in healthcare, such as the use and reuse of blood pressure cuffs. See this guest blog, by nurse Tom Bowen, who (full disclosure) owns a company (Bowen Medical, Live Oak, Florida) that sells disposable blood pressure cuff covers. H...

Posted By: Susan Yox  

February 12, 2014

Nurse 3D: Truth at the Movies?

The Truth About Nursing has concerns about a new horror film, Nurse 3D, which features a disturbed and vengeful nurse who seduces and kills cheating men. In a press release sent February 8, 2014, Sandy Summers, RN, MSN, MPH, executive directo...

December 10, 2013

Year-end Reviews in Specialties

Medscape is publishing a number of end-of-year specialty reviews. I recommend you keep a watch out for them, as they provide a great opportunity to review all the latest updates in a given specialty, with an expert's opinion about the most important advances in the last year. We have published 3 reviews so far, in the fiel...

November 4, 2013

Do-Not-Miss Slideshows, New Today Page, Nursing Blog

I thought readers might be interested in seeing all the slideshows we have published on Medscape. You can find them by searching, but perhaps this link will be most helpful. You can find all the slideshows we have published here, starting with the most rece...

July 17, 2013

EMR Survey and 100 Twitter Feeds Every Nurse Should Follow

I have a couple things to bring to your attention this week. The first is an informal survey we are doing, asking nurses about specific experiences with electronic medical records (EMRs). We published an "Ask the Expert" response a short time ago about nurses staying late to chart (

July 1, 2013

Any Time to RELAX this Summer?

Do you have time to read a good book or two?

Even if you can only catch a few days of vacation or time-off this summer, how about curling up with a new book, either at home or in a vacation setting?<...

May 28, 2013

A New Guide to Preventing C difficile Infection

With a nurse as the lead author, the Association for Healthcare Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology has just published a new guideline with the latest guidelines on C diff prevention. As the article describes, the main risk factors for CDI haven't c...

April 25, 2013

Proud To Be a Nurse

I am sure many of you share my feelings of overwhelming sadness and anger right now.

When the bombings took place at the Boston Marathon last week, the Medscape editors thought that it would be important to talk to some of the health professionals who had been nearby when the explosions happened or who had provided ...

March 19, 2013

Dealing With Interruptions During Nursing Care

Of course I am biased, but I believe we are publishing many very interesting articles lately. I would like to point you to one of my recent favorites.

An article in the ISMP Medication Safety Alert!</s...

February 28, 2013

Do Nurses Take Care of Themselves?

For the over 3 million nurses in the United States, and so many more worldwide, the focus is always on caring for everyone else. But what about caring for ourselves? Why do we neglect keeping ourselves healthy? Is it lack of time? Family responsibilities? Long work hours?

At an ANA conference last summer, a sur...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 next »
About This Blog

In this blog by and for nurses, Susan B. Yox, the editor of the Medscape Nurses Web site, offers updates and commentary on the latest publications on the site. Reader comments, from nurses and others, are very welcome.
Poll: Do you believe that media portrayals of nurses (positive and negative) affect nursing as a profession? Yes|No|Not sure|

• Susan Yox
    Editorial Director, Medscape Nurses
    I'm a graduate of the Genesee Hospital School of Nursing in Rochester, New York (RN diploma) with a BS and MS in nursing and an EdD in Health Behavioral Sciences from the State University of New York at Buffalo (SUNYAB). I've worked as a hospital nurse, a university faculty member, and as a health educator in a managed care setting. I began working at Medscape when Medscape Nurses began in 1999.
Share This
Add this blog page to your favorite Social Media site.

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2014 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.