In Our Own Words: Medscape Nurses
Blog Address: http://blogs.medscape.com/nurses
January 14, 2011

Au Revoir -- Good Bye!

The New Year is here. We are snow-covered in the city. At times during the past couple of weeks the city has essentially stopped moving. I have had to work a few extra shifts already as the snow plows seem to be missing from the Sanitation Department. But, all is heavenly white and CLEAN. A month ago the trees in Central Park still had their dried leaves on; now they are bare, exposed to the elements.

Tis the time to explore new adventures for me and I have decided, after 4 years with Medscape, my time writing weekly blogs has come to an end. It now is time  for someone else to take the role within the Medscape Blogging Studio. I have enjoyed writing for all of you ...

Posted By: beka serdans  

December 30, 2010

Orientation Today vs The "Old Days"

I just went through 2 back-to-back weeks 8am to 5pm, 5 days/week of orientation at a local medical facility. Never have I come home each day dead on my feet and overloaded with information about competencies, core measures, Joint Commission goals, and more. Nor had I taken an actual math drug calculation test with "all work and steps used to solve the answer show...

December 25, 2010

I Met a New Nurse Today...

While waiting in the Employment Office for a drug screen test, I met several newly graduated nurses along with a fellow Master's-prepared nurse. They were listening to our intense, sophisticated conversation about the role of NPs in private practices vs those who practice within the acute, inpatient setting. One eagerly introduced herself and began questioning ea...

December 5, 2010

Nursing's Top Ethical Dilemmas?

I just read the many responses by physicians regarding ongoing ethical dilemmas that they deal with on a daily basis in the "Physician's Top 20 Ethical Dilemmas" survey. Some of their responses are quite candid such as:

November 12, 2010

Dear Nursing Administrator

I'd like to know what you want from us... My agency just called asking to see if you had any need for perdiem ICU or even stepdown nurses. But what did my agency get - a rude and abrupt answer of " No, we don't need any nurses." What, suddenly you are so well staffed that you are giving optimal care to your patients? How well are you rated compared with other loc...

November 9, 2010

Obesity: My Nurse is "Too Fat! Get Me Another One"

Though we all use the terms "fat" and "obese" casually in conversation, there is a medical definition of the condition and yes, obesity is considered a health "condition." But what to do if your patient refuses to be taken care by an obese nurse?

"Obesity" specifically refers to an excessive amount of body f...

October 29, 2010

Should We Practice Cubicle-like Nursing?

My sister works in a cubicle. So do a few of my nursing friends who work in corporate nursing and within the health insurance industry. Talking with my sister, I had never heard of "cubicle etiquette." Apparently cubicle etiquette is a set of unwritten rules that exist in her compartmentalized workplace. Cubicle etiquette guidelines should be adhered to...

October 10, 2010

Bullying in Nursing Needs to Stop TOO

Last week we mourned over several teenage suicides: kids ages 13 to 18 from New Jersey, Texas, California, Indiana and Minnesota who were bullied because of their actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity. These tragedies occurred in red and blue states, major cities and rural communities, and probably much closer to home than any of us want to co...

October 7, 2010

How We Treat Ourselves in Nursing... Like This?

I just heard from a friend of mine in another state today where there is a high unemployment rate. He was let go from his job in nursing informatics at an area medical facility for "doing his job too well." What does that mean - too well? I've become more and more convinced that the general work cultu...

September 29, 2010

Welcome to NEW Healthcare!

Here I am, sitting listening to CNN analysts in the background arguing about the new healthcare initiatives that will be taking place. Okay, here is a summary from my understanding of the ACA. At the six-month anniversary of the signing of the Affordable Care Act - ACA], a number of benefits are or will be beginning to take effect.

Insurers will no longer be able to:

&nbsp...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 next »
About This Blog

Beka is a critical care nurse who blogs on Medscape Nurses about issues related to bedside critical care as well as about larger healthcare concerns.Poll: Are you seeing more patients leave the hospital against physician advice (AMA ) ? Yes|No|

• beka serdans

Despite holding an MS degree and NP license , I remain an active ICU clinical bedside nurse. I love research and physics. My hobbies include gardening, hiking, traveling, photography, riding horses, writing, and serving as a patient dystonia advocate. I, also, run a nonprofit www.care4dystonia.org  keeping the media and patients on their heels when it comes to dystonia and Deep Brain Stimulation awareness and education. Next goal - Living healthy and within my means. Blogging at www.focaldystoniaexchange.com and turning towards private care nursing ! patients and fam8ileis are demanding better quality.

Disclosure: Rebecca (Beka) Serdans, RN, MS, NP, has disclosed that she has served as an advisor or consultant to MerzUSA Pharmaceuticals, Inc.,  Medical Dynamics,  and 5Fith Element Advertising.

The content of this blog does not necessarily reflect the viewpoints of Medscape.
Share This
Add this blog page to your favorite Social Media site.

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2017 by WebMD LLC. This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.